Avantgarde Cultural Foundation is a non-profit cultural organization which operates under the Honorary Presidency of the First Lady of the Republic of Cyprus Mrs.Andri Anastasiades and the Patronage of renowned pianist-conductor Vladimir Ashkenazy. The Foundation’s President is Mr.Stavros V. Kyriakides and the Board is composed by people who are actively involved in music and the arts.
Avantgarde’s purpose is to strengthen and improve the cultural life of Cyprus, support young Cypriot musicians and promote the rich culture of Cyprus outside its boundaries. Since its foundation, Avantgarde has made its presence strongly felt in the cultural life of the country and some of the biggest and most important events that have been hosted in Cyprus are attributed to the Foundation. Among other things, Avantgarde:
- Has introduced the successful institution of the PanCyprian Competition for Young Pianists (supported by the Cyprus Broadcasting Corporation and broadcasted live through the CyBC’s television and radio channels)
- Organizes high level events with the participation of many renowned artists (Vladimir Ashkenazy, European Union Youth Orchestra, Thomas Duis, Dimitris Sgouros, The Ten Tenors, Joja Wendt, Stars in Concert, Igudesman & Joo, Barbara Helfgott & Rondo Vienna etc.)
- Supports young Cypriot musicians through concerts, scholarships or otherwise
- Supports Cypriot composers by giving them the opportunity to compose new works, publish their music and by including their works in various events.
Avantgarde takes very seriously the promotion of Cyprus and its culture overseas. It is within these very frameworks what the Foundation records some of the concerts it organizes and later distributes the recordings (CD) free of charge in Cyprus and abroad. It all began with the double collection “Young Europe Salutes Cyprus” (2002) with the concerts of the European Union Youth Orchestra; a recording which was sent all around the world to promote the accession of Cyprus to the European Union. This was followed by equally remarkable recordings with the participation of distinguished artists and/or ensembles. An important milestone is the recording of the Concert for 10 Pianos & Orchestra (by composer Savvas Savva) which the Foundation organized in September 2005 and was a world premiere.
Avantgarde Cultural Organization has developed and maintains cooperation with notable institutions, organizations, associations, corporations and schools in Cyprus and abroad who share our vision and help us reach our goals.
Avantgarde never organizes any event(s) for the sake of profit. Exclusive concern for organizing a concert is the service to music and the society. To this day, the Foundation has “invested” hundreds of thousands of euros for the cultural development of the country, and among others:
- Donated a grand piano [Steinway & Sons] worth €70,000 to the “Kastelliotissa” hall in Nicosia’s city centre, which helped to further promote the hall as well as revitalize the “walled city”
- Donated seven (7) grand pianos [Gebrüder Perzina] with a total value of €120,000 to seven public schools of Secondary Education (in Nicosia, Limassol, Larnaca and Paphos) to help upgrade the musical education of Cyprus
- Funded institutions like the Strovolos Municipal Theatre and the University of Cyprus with more than €85,000 to acquire their own pianos [Steinway & Sons and Gebrüder Perzina respectively] for their concert halls and/or their educational needs
- Donated a grand piano [Gebrüder Perzina] worth €17,000 to the Cyprus Cultural Foundation
- Donated an upright piano [Gebrüder Perzina] worth €5,000 to the Cultural Centre of Larnaca
- Supported (financially) charitable institutions and/or associations who fight against muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, addictive substances etc.